Jian (Jay) Wang is director of the USC Center on Public Diplomacy and an associate professor at USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.
His research and writing address the role of communication in the contemporary process of globalization, with an area focus on China. His books include Shaping China’s Global Imagination: Soft Power and Nation Branding at the World Expo (2013), Soft Power in China: Public Diplomacy through Communication (editor), Foreign Advertising in China: Becoming Global, Becoming Local, and China's Window on the World: TV News, Social Knowledge and International Spectacles (co-author). In addition, his research articles have appeared in the Journal of Communication, Management Communication Quarterly, Journal of Broadcast & Electronic Media, Public Relations Review, International Journal of Advertising, Asian Journal of Communication and other academic journals. He served as guest editor of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy on its special issue on national image management in Asia.
Wang previously worked for the international consulting firm McKinsey & Company, where he advised clients on matters of communication strategy and implementation across a variety of industries and sectors. He joined USC from Purdue University. He has also taught at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and served as a consultant to Ketchum in New York and Hong Kong.
Wang has led a number of research projects on topics including Nation branding at the World Expo, nonprofit branding, corporate public diplomacy, corporate social responsibility practices in emerging economies, and Chinese corporate communication.
Wang earned his PhD in mass communication from the University of Iowa, and holds degrees from the University of Minnesota and Beijing University.
- Nation Branding Reconsidered | CPD Blog | Jun 12, 2014
- China’s First Lady | CPD Blog | Mar 19, 2014
- 8 Lessons of Nation Branding | CPD Blog | Feb 3, 2014
- CPD’s New Year’s Resolutions | CPD Blog | Jan 13, 2014
- Branding the Cyrus Cylinder | CPD Blog | Oct 28, 2013
- Re-imagining the World Expo | CPD Blog | Dec 3, 2012
- Mr. Xi Comes to America’s Heartland | CPD Blog | Feb 13, 2012
- Advertising USA | CPD Blog | Feb 6, 2012
- Taking Comedy Seriously in Public Diplomacy | CPD Blog | Aug 4, 2011
- Public Diplomacy with Chinese Characteristics | CPD Blog | May 4, 2011