John Worne is British Council Director Corporate HQ. He is responsible for the British Council’s strategy, governance, brand, overall reputation and top stakeholders as well as corporate targets, performance and resource allocation.
John has held senior positions in both the public and private sectors. From 2001 to 2007 he was a Senior Civil Servant then Director in the centre of UK Government at the Cabinet Office and worked at the Department of Health leading the development of the National Health Service brand. Prior to this in the 1990s John helped launch of one of France's three mobile phone operators Bouygues Telecom and worked around the world in the international telecommunications industry spending time in Hong Kong, Colombia, Russia, Indonesia and Malaysia amongst other countries.
John studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Jesus College, University of Oxford.
In The News:
November 19, 2013- John Worne was quoted in a BBC News article titled, "'Alarming Shortage' of Foreign Language Skills in UK."
- WWI - Remember the World as Well as the War | CPD Blog | May 8, 2014
- The UK’s “Soft Power” – in a Word… | CPD Blog | May 5, 2014
- Languages - Getting to the Hearts | CPD Blog | Dec 6, 2013
- We the People | CPD Blog | Aug 12, 2013
- London 2012: Everyone’s a winner | CPD Blog | Nov 26, 2012
- Smoking guns | CPD Blog | Oct 25, 2012
- #wethepeople | CPD Blog | Oct 8, 2012
- The changing climate for cultural relations | CPD Blog | Mar 30, 2009
- Deaf is Dumb – Why Listening is Powerful | CPD Blog | Feb 18, 2009
- The Case for Culture | CPD Blog | Jan 19, 2009