Falk Hartig is a post-doctoral researcher at Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany and a CPD Contributing Scholar. His research focuses on public diplomacy, international political communication, and issues of external...KEEP READING
The Rhetoric vs Reality of Chinese Public Diplomacy
News coverage this week looked at how China is utilizing its soft power assets to support its nation brand and win friends abroad. Headlines from Italy announced the “Belt and Road” initiative, a “modern Silk Road” project that aims to unite the two countries; and in the U.S., high school students from China met with their American peers to “talk about major world issues and develop their potential to find innovative solutions.” Yet, the rhetoric and reality of Chinese public diplomacy appeared to conflict with headlines out of Russia and South Africa.
- Chinese, U.S. Students Try Out Special Program to Learn about Diplomacy at UN Headquarters - Xinhua
- Chinese State Media: Obama ‘Playing the Family Card’ in Africa - Foreign Policy
- Confucius Institute in Russia Threatened with Closure in Legal Case - The Epoch Times
- Italian Authorities, Experts Eye ‘Belt and Road’ Harvest - Daily Times
- Media Freedom: South African Government Sees How Its Done in China - Daily Maverick
- Panda Diplomacy: Charting China's Reform - WPTZ
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Photo courtesy of M M [sic] via Flickr Creative Commons
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.