USC Center on Public Diplomacy Kicks off 2008 Summer Institute
LOS ANGELES, July 18, 2008 —The USC Center on Public Diplomacy kicked off its 2008 Summer Institute in Advanced Public Diplomacy on Sunday July 20, 2008. In its third year, the Summer Institute is an intensive two-week course designed to immerse participants into the increasingly critical study of public diplomacy by combining traditional classroom instruction with collaborative hands-on exercises.
This exclusive training program designed for mid-career professionals and graduate level students has garnered global attention and continues to attract participants of the highest caliber with experience in fields related to traditional diplomacy, foreign and economic affairs, defense and homeland security, intergovernmental organizations, and the private sector.
Led by Nicholas Cull, Professor and Director of the Master of Public Diplomacy program at USC and Eytan Gilboa, Professor of International Communication at Bar-Ilan University in Israel, the Summer Institute in Advanced Public Diplomacy brings together some of the world’s foremost public diplomacy experts from a wide range of disciplines to offer an unparalleled level of instruction. Additional professors include Philip Seib, CPD University Fellow and Professor at the USC Annenberg School of Journalism, who specializes in international news coverage, media ethics and new technologies and Kelton Rhoads, Adjunct Professor of Communication and Psychology at the USC Annenberg School for Communication with a focus on influence and persuasion studies.
The 2008 program will also feature special guest lectures from local and national experts including Nicholas Goldberg, Op-Ed Editor for the Los Angeles Times; Dean Garfield, Vice President at the Motion Picture Association of America; Abiodun Williams, Vice President of the Center for Conflict Analysis and Prevention at the US Institute of Peace; and Gillian Sorensen, Senior Advisor and National Advocate at the United Nations Foundation.
Participants in the 2008 Summer Institute in Advanced Public Diplomacy are:
• Taro Araki - Deputy Director, Iron and Steel Industrial Policy Division, Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, Japan
• Fleur Cowan - Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
• Ingrid de Beer - Public Diplomacy Officer, Royal Netherlands Embassy, Washington D.C.
• James O. Gregory - Major, Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Army
• Amy Hochadel - Associate Director of Diversity, Cleveland Clinic
• Kristin Kane - Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
• Simone Kreutzer - Consul for Press and Cultural Affairs, Consulate General of the Netherlands, New York City
• Sotirios Krystallis - Press Attache, Secretariat General of Information of the Hellenic Republic
• Ta-Sheng Kuan - Secretary on Home Assignment, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan
• Habib Kurwa – Former Chairman of UK Developing Programmes, Aga Khan Health Board
• Che-jung Liu – Officer, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan
• Meili Lu - Senior Secretary, Government Information Office, Taiwan
• Barbora Maronkova - Programme Coordinator and Information Officer, NATO
• Joseph Mellott - Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
• Kristen Knutson - Public Information and Donor Liaison Officer, United Nations – OCHA, Uganda
• Fatou Sall - Consul General, Senegalese Diplomatic Mission, Houston
• Sandra P. Schulberg – President, Schulberg Productions, Inc.
• Christina Tribble - Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
• Floris Erik van Hovell - Counselor/Head of Public Diplomacy, Press and Culture, Royal Netherlands Embassy, Washington D.C.
• Timothy Wall- Communications contact on Economics and Economic Development United Nations Department of Public Information
For more information on The Summer Institute in Advanced Public Diplomacy Click HERE
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.