APDS launches PD Magazine
In February 2009, the Association of Public Diplomacy Scholars at the University of Southern California launched the inaugural issue of PD the first student-run magazine focused exclusively on Public Diplomacy issues.
The inaugural issue, themed New President. New Public Diplomacy? features:
• Memos To Obama: Professor Nicholas J. Cull, Kristin Lord of the Brookings Institution, Helle Dale of the Heritage Foundation, and the Internews Network present their agendas for this new century of American public diplomacy
• Benjamin Barber ponders which version of America’s brand image will win out in the Obama Era
• Ambassador Edward Djerejian reports again: Five years on, what’s changed in American public diplomacy?
• James K. Glassman evaluates his tenure at State, discussing what structures have been put in place and his thoughts on the “war of ideas”
• Public Diplomacy in Practice: An ongoing feature that breaks down the mechanics of public diplomacy. What works in the Field?
• Case Study: Beijing Olympics: Did the 2008 Games advance China’s public diplomacy goals
• In Print: reviews of new books on public diplomacy
• New Developments in Public Diplomacy: a roundup of latest trends and events
• Nancy Snow considers the challenge of managing “Brand Obama”
Public diplomacy is at its best when scholars are in conversation with practitioners, and PD intends to host that dialogue. The publication promises to address the challenges and issues of public diplomacy, not only for the United States, but wherever it is relevant in the world. It will feature the voices of practitioners and scholars with divergent perspectives, but whose unified goal is the continued evolution of the field.
PD is a publication of the Association of Public Diplomacy Scholars, edited by graduate students in the Masters of Public Diplomacy program at USC. It is published with support from the USC Center on Public Diplomacy and the School of International Relations.
PD will be published bi-annually, with an accompanying web mag.azine, http://publicdiplomacymagazine.com/.
Click here to read the USC story on the launch of PD.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.