For over a hundred years, World Expos have provided a way for countries to present themselves to the rest of the world, both to showcase their progress and achievements as well as to share aspects of their culture. CPD has...KEEP READING
Public Diplomacy on Display
From cultural engagement on stage to digital discussions online, stories about art, music and theater were a key theme in this week’s PD News roundup. In Malawi, a Congolese hip-hop artist is using music diplomacy to combat xenophobia, while in New York, the annual Under the Radar international festival has sought to “demystify” theater by exploring the intersection of culture, identity and heritage through creative storytelling. Meanwhile, China showcased its cultural talents with its “five-act extravaganza,” Opera Warriors, during its North American debut, and South Korea opened a new digital portal “for the purpose of uniting cyber diplomats who want to build friendships with foreign friends.”
- Heavy Petals—The New Yorker
- Pink Martini: A Study in Musical Diplomacy —Cascadia Weekly
- Soft Diplomacy: Bravura “Opera Warriors” Showcases Chinese Performing Arts—Vancouver Observer
- Tresor and the Camp Musicians—Al Jazeera
- VANK Opens Internet Site to Promote Digital Diplomacy—Yonhap News
- Why Do Theater? Every Year, International Festival Looks For Answers—Peconic Public Broadcasting
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Photo by 7-how-7 | CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.