A recent book from Martha Bayles, a lecturer in humanities at Boston College, tackles the question of how American entertainment industry products confound official U.S. government efforts to represent the nation to...KEEP READING
A New Chapter in US-Cuba Relations
Restoring diplomatic ties severed by the United States more than 50 years ago, President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro agreed this week on a breakthrough prisoner exchange, the opening of embassies in each other's countries, and an easing of some restrictions on commerce. A colorful array of PD News headlines about Pope Francis' soft power, I Love Lucy and Cuban Hip Hop ensued.
- Francis’ US-Cuba Coup Demonstrates the Church’s Soft Power - The Tablet
- From ‘I Love Lucy’ to Pop Music, Cuba’s Influence on America Runs Deep - MSNBC
- Castro Brothers Resistance to Change Could Test Renewed U.S.-Cuba Diplomacy - The Washington Post
- Obama to Announce Major Changes in Cuban Policy - Russia Today
- Cuban Artists Defend US' Crazy Plan to Fund Revolutionary Hip Hop Scene - Fusion
- Fidel Castro Named Winner of Confucius Peace Prize - The Wall Street Journal
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.