The world has been outraged by Cambridge Analytica scraping personal data from Facebook to facilitate targeted campaigning in the U.S. Presidential election and, possibly, the Brexit referendum. But this is small beer....KEEP READING
Non-State Actors Taking the Lead in Global Aid
This week's PD News headlines focused on the influence of non-state actors in advocacy and public diplomacy campaigns. Bill Gates, a strong opponent of the Trump’s administration plan to cut foreign aid, met with President Trump at the White House, while Google announced a donation of $50M for twenty education nonprofits over the next two years. Other stories explored a social media campaign that raised $1M to deliver humanitarian aid to Somalia, and on the eve of the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, the UN human rights chief urged governments to target hate speech.
- US Efforts to Counter ISIS Require Multilateralism and a Strong United Nations - Huffington Post
- Google.org Announces $50M for Education and Tech - Devex
- Bill Gates, Opponent of Plan to Cut Foreign Aid, Meet With President Trump - Forbes
- UN Rights Chief Urges Governments to Target Hate Speech - UN News Centre
- Celebrity Social Media Push to Help Somalia Goes Viral - Al Jazeera
Want PD News in your inbox? Sign up for our daily and weekly digests.
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.