Falk Hartig is a post-doctoral researcher at Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany and a CPD Contributing Scholar. His research focuses on public diplomacy, international political communication, and issues of external...KEEP READING
A New Book on China's Public Diplomacy
In China's Public Diplomacy, Ingrid d'Hooghe, Senior Research Associate at the Netherlands Institute of International Relations (Clingendael) and an expert in East Asia region, analyzes how China's approach to public diplomacy is shaped by the country's political system and culture. D'Hooghe sets up an analytical framework through which public diplomacy can be understood in relation to other concepts such as soft power and propaganda. In this context, the book explores various assets that China utilizes to enhance its public diplomacy efforts as well as obstacles that hinder such efforts. The author explains how China's public diplomacy is nested in its political system and introduces the main actors and target audiences. In the final chapters, d'Hooghe explores various Chinese public diplomacy initiatives and how their impact has been evaluated.
The book is available for purchase, here.
Read more on this topic in the following CPD Blogs:
- Nation Branding Reconsidered by Jay Wang, Jun 12, 2014
- Cultural Diplomacy in Emerging Markets: China, UAE, Indonesia, and Russia, Feb 25, 2014
- Five Key Takeaways on Global Views of the U.S. and China by Richard Wike, Jul 15, 2014
- The Latest Round of China’s Panda Diplomacy: Winning Hearts in Belgium by Falk Hatrig, Mar 5, 2014
- China’s Charm Offensive: Beyond Appearances, by Chenzhou Gong, Jan 31, 2014
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.