City diplomacy is increasingly recognized as a powerful tool for local communities to prosper in a globalized society. In recent years, U.S. mayors are embracing international relations as it relates to their urban...KEEP READING
Cities on the Front Line of Diplomacy
Subnational actors, from the city-states of the past to the bustling metropolises of today, play an important role in foreign affairs. However, with the growing role of city diplomacy comes the need to develop a robust local network.
Using Los Angeles as an example of city diplomacy, we have curated our content featuring various organizations, including BAFTA LA, the International Visitors Council of Los Angeles, the Pacific Council on International Policy and more.
- The Future of City Diplomacy. On April 12, CPD, in partnership with the Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of International Affairs, will host a panel to explore growing opportunities and emerging challenges in city diplomacy.
- San Diego's Local Leadership in a Global Age. In his piece for the Soft Power 30 report, Joel Day looks at how the City of San Diego is working to create a global brand.
- Subnational Diplomacy, Climate Governance & Californian Global Leadership. A new report examines the emerging landscape of bottom-up global climate governance.
- C40 is the New G20. Sohaela Amiri discusses cities' expanding roles at the global negotiating table, from climate change, to winning hearts and minds and beyond.
- PD Magazine's Issue on City Diplomacy. The Summer/Fall 2017 edition included articles on city networks, security, culture, sports, climate, immigration, city branding and governance.
- Beyond the Rot: Cities & the Future of Public Diplomacy. Nicholas J. Cull discusses the growing role of city diplomacy and the emergence of the global city.
- Expo Milan 2015: Milan's City Diplomacy. According to Jay Wang, the 2015 world’s fair, with the theme “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life,” shone a bright light on its host Milan.
The City of Global Stories
- Q&A with CPD: Eric Garcetti. CPD spoke to the Los Angeles Mayor about the rise of global cities.
- Religion in Los Angeles. Varun Soni, USC Dean of Religious Life, on LA's massive diaspora as an incubator of global religion and a driving force for the city's growing relevance on the world stage.
- LA Confidential: Discovering the DNA of a Global City. Juan de Lara, Thomas Gustafson and Varun Soni examined what makes Los Angeles global from a range of perspectives.
Art and Culture in Los Angeles
- Soft Power: The Inspiration Behind David Henry Hwang's New Play. On April 24, Tony Award® winner David Henry Hwang joins CPD and Center Theatre Group to discuss the inspiration behind his new play.
- How to Make the News Better. In an event co-sponsored by BAFTA-Los Angeles and Selwyn College, Cambridge University, Roger Mosey cast a critical eye over what we see and hear.
- CPD Conference Spotlight: LA's Polish Film Festival. Watch this CPD video of Vladek Juszkiewicz discussing the Polish Film Festival as a cultural diplomacy initiative.
- Rediscovering the Cyrus Cylinder: The Making of a Cultural Icon with Timothy Potts. CPD hosted a fascinating panel discussion featuring Timothy Potts, Director of the J. Paul Getty Museum.
Discussions with the Director of LACMA
- LACMA's Director on Youth and Art in the Digital Age. Watch Los Angeles County Museum of Art Director Michael Govan discuss the role of art in the digital age and LACMA's Next Generation Program.
- Fútbol: The Beautiful Game. Michael Govan, LACMA CEO and Director, talks with CPD about a LACMA exhibit devoted to diverse contemporary art focusing on this popular sport. Watch Part II.
- A NAFTA World Cup in 2026? The U.S., Canada and Mexico submitted a joint bid to host the 2026 World Cup. Watch CPD's 2014 roundtable discussion on the topic featuring Michael Govan.
Conversations with Other International Affairs Organizations in LA
- What Marketers Can Learn from Terrorists. Dr. Haroon Ullah discussed his new book which outlines social media’s influence on the Muslim world and its implications for regional and international politics.
- How Soft Power Is Transforming Statecraft. CPD and Town Hall Los Angeles brought together leading practitioners in LA to explore innovative ways nations are developing and deploying their soft power assets.
- PD in the Near Future: Challenges, Opportunities and Disruptions. A panel discussion on the challenges and opportunities facing the field of public diplomacy took place at the Spring Conference of PCIP.
- The Baltic States and Russia: Conversation with Consuls. The LA World Affairs Council Young Professionals and CPD organized a conversation with the Consulate Generals of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- 2016 International Women of Courage Awards. In an event co-sponsored with IVCLA and USC IDEA, eleven of the 14 recipients of the International Women of Courage Award came to CPD.
- U.S. Ambassadors on Public Diplomacy in ASEAN. Video highlights from CPD's panel discussion on the local impact of ASEAN.
Images (from top to bottom): Photo by Daniil Vnoutchkov via Unsplash, Photo by Pexels I CC0, Photo courtesy of paulrommer via iStock, Photo by Lord Jim I CC BY 2.0, Photo by happikoala I CC0, Photo is CPD's own
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.