On January 9, North and South Korea held direct talks about the upcoming Winter Olympics, the first time the two states held direct talks in over two years. The two countries agreed to have North Korean athletes, as...KEEP READING
Beyond PyeongChang 2018: South Korea's Global Role
The Korean Peninsula has been all over the news as of late, giving South Korea a new stage for its public diplomacy tactics. We've curated content related to the country's digital diplomacy, soft power and sports diplomacy as well as CPD's own work with South Korea in hopes of keeping you up-to-date on the country's efforts.
CPD & South Korea
- Behind-the-Scenes: CPD 360 in South Korea. Get an inside view of the CPD-JOVRNALISM team's experience in South Korea using 360-degree video technology for public diplomacy storytelling.
- Sports Diplomacy Through the Olympics. CPD brought noted scholar Susan Brownell to discuss her experience in PyeongChang to examine the Olympics through the lens of sports diplomacy.
- New Grant Supports Programming on South Korea's Soft Power & PD Innovation. The Korea Foundation grant funded several programs examining Korea's sports diplomacy and more.
- Challenges & Innovations: South Korea's Soft Power. Ambassador Enna Park joined CPD for a discussion about Korea’s regional uncertainties and new frontiers in innovation and information technologies.
- K-Pop Mania: South Korea's Place in the Sun. USC visiting scholar Jie-Ae Sohn led a discussion about South Korea’s pop-culture footprint around the globe.
- Expo Milan 2015 - South Korea's Pavilion: Branding Hansik. Video: Learn how South Korea promotes Korean food as a sustainable, healthy option and how it can be used to connect with Italian audiences.
- Expo Shanghai 2010 - South Korea's Pavilion: Nation Branding Through Pop Culture. Video: Check out views of the South Korean pavilion's "culture zones," interactive technologies and more.
- Keynote Speech from South Korea's Ambassador for Public Diplomacy. Ambassador for Public Diplomacy Enna Park emphasized the importance of public diplomacy and soft power in ensuring South Korea's continued success.
- Korean Arabia. From K-Pop to business diplomacy, this video from the Foreign Policy Research Institute explored South Korea's growing cultural and economic investment in the Middle East.
- Q&A with CPD: Jie-Ae Sohn. A special interview with the former CEO and president of Arirang TV, South Korea's government-operated public broadcaster.
- Korea and Japan Engage in Cultural Diplomacy. Watch this video about a cultural diplomacy show between Korea and Japan that raised hopes for improved relations between the two neighbors.
- Can South Korea Exploit Its Generation Gap to Strengthen Digital Diplomacy? by Jeffrey Robertson. The benefits of introducing digital media education to the Korea National Diplomatic Academy.
- Digital Diplomacy in South Korea. Clingendael's Jan Melissen and Emillie de Keulenaar on the urgency of going digital.
- Korea's Digital Diplomacy: The Most Technologically Advanced Avoider? by Jeffrey Robertson. Korea faces distinct political, cultural and technological challenges to reach its full potential.
- Networked Public Diplomacy. The Asian Journal of Communication published an article titled, "Information Networks and Social Media Use in Public Diplomacy: A Comparative Analysis of South Korea and Japan."
- Inside Sports Diplomacy. An immersive documentary from CPD-JOVRNALISM on Olympic peacebuilding. Take a look around!
- The Olympic Truce. An episode of the Global Journalist podcast took a realistic look at the impact of the Olympics on the relationship between North Korea and South Korea.
- Olympic Diplomacy on the Korean Peninsula by Robert Dunbar. The joint North Korea-South Korea women's hockey team that competed at this year's Winter Games marked a new step in Olympic history.
- Olympics: Once More 'A Symbol of Hope and Peace in Our Troubled Times' by Alan Abrahamson. Award-winning sports journalist Alan Abrahamson discussed the Olympic movement's role in global peacebuilding.
- Sports Diplomacy at the PyeongChang Winter Olympics. Arirang TV looked at the impact of the 2018 winter games on North Korea-South Korea relations.
Other Elements of PD
- Immersive Postcards from South Korea. Want to visit South Korea? Take a look around using 360° video technology to experience five immersive views of Korean food, the DMZ, rural seaside life and more.
- Inter-Korean People-to-People Diplomacy by Kadir Ayhan. Moon Jae-In's election and the PyeongChang Winter Olympics made people-to-people exchanges between the divided Koreas possible again.
- Evolution of Korea's Public Diplomacy by Olga Krasnyak. The political instability of 2016 and the beginning of 2017 was a turning point for Korea’s PD.
- Middle Power Diplomacy: Canada and South Korea. This article compared two middle powers, Canada and South Korea, to assess their changing role and relevance on the global stage.
- South Korean-Russian Space Cooperation: Mistrust & National Diplomatic Styles by Olga Krasnyak. How understanding different diplomatic styles is essential to creating a solid relationship.
Photo by Richgold I CC0. Icons are courtesy of Flat Icon Basic License and are attributed to the following creators: Freepik (Other Elements of PD), prettycons (CPD & South Korea), turkkub (Soft Power), and Vectors Market (Digital Diplomacy, Sports Diplomacy).
Visit CPD's Online Library
Explore CPD's vast online database featuring the latest books, articles, speeches and information on international organizations dedicated to public diplomacy.